Dovecot problem

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Dec 21 11:59:08 UTC 2011

Craig White wrote:

>> I'm trying to setup dovecot on a new server,
>> to replace the server I have been using
>> which is having some hardware problems.
>>
>> The new server is running CentOS-6.1 ;
>> the current server is running CentOS-5.7.
>>
>> Dovecot runs fine on the current server,
>> but on the new server when I get
>> ------------------------
>> [tim at blanche ~]$ telnet grover 143
>> Trying 192.168.2.5...
>> Connected to grover.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>> ------------------------
>>
>> (I notice I don't have a /var/log/dovecot on the new server,
>> as I do on the old one.)

> 1 - Asking Fedora list for CentOS server software is off-topic and
> potentially useless

I should have said that the imap client I was using was a Fedora-16 laptop.
But I should have asked the question on the CentOS list, as you suggest;
though I must admit one is more likely to get an answer here,
even if the question is not strictly relevant.

> 2 - Chances are that logs are going to /var/log/maillog

That did indeed give the solution.
Thank you.
For some reason the error messages from dovecot now go to /var/log/maillog ,
while the old version set up a directory /var/log/dovecot .

It turned out the problem was to do with the certificate I was using.

> 3 - Was there an actual question somewhere?

I did actually end with the words "Any advice or elucidation
gratefully received", which while technically not a question
is an implicit request for a response.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net