Fedora vs openSUSE

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Dec 21 14:07:36 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 02:15 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> Microsoft...

>> hidden (may be) meaning.
>>
>>> Opensuses' 'agreement' with Microsoft
>>
>>> http://www.suse.com/company/press/2011/7/microsoft-and-suse-renew-successful-interoperability-agreement.html
>>
>>> necessarily imposes limitations (theoretical if not
>> actual) on its development
>>> ('intellectual property concerns')
>>
>> Oh I see, this is really amazing. So should I not use
>> openSUSE because
>> of this deal? Thanks.
>> --
>
> This is entirely up to you :)  You decide.  If you like OpenSUSE, use it.
Exactly.

>  Deals of sleeping with the devil by M$ should not discourage you right?

Well,

a) such deals are not uncommon in the commercial world. It's only that
SUSE uses this deal for marketing purposes, while there probably exist
similar deals, the public simply never will know about.

b) whom to consider the devil is (mostly) a religous matter.

c) Times are changing: Though Microsoft and Linux definitely are not
close friends, Microsoft's attitude towards Linux has changed at least
to some extend. Also, the real threats to Linux and FLOSS is not
Microsoft, anymore.

> If you are on users list at fedoraproject, why not Fedora?

There are a lot of answers, I could provide, if I wanted, but I am not
interested in yet another flamewar ;)

Back to OP's original question:

To absolute beginners, from a mere usability POV, I in first place
recommend Ubuntu, then openSUSE, then (with larger gap inbetween)
followed by Fedora, ... Debian on last place.

If "freedom of software" is your "highest aim", then Debian should be
your first choice, followed by Fedora, then a gap, then openSUSE,
followed by Ubuntu on last place.

 From a mere technical standpoint, Fedora, Ubuntu and openSUSE all are
on comparable levels and stages of development.

Ralf