Can't copy lists in Yumex...

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Dec 21 18:01:21 UTC 2011

On Dec 20, 2011 5:40 PM, "Linda McLeod" <lindavaldeen at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Sure would be nice if I could bring up "installed" in Yumex, and copy
> the list..  then paste that list into Yumex install for when I'm
> rebuilding a freshly formatted hd, to eliminate the lengthy search in
> Yumex in locating my many preferred packages..  This modification
> evolution could save users hours per install...
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
>                          unladen european swallow
>
> --

Hey Linda,

You're right, the kind of functionality you are asking about would improve
your use case greatly. The kind of tips and tricks seen in your responses
aren't a 'modification evolution,'  but based on methods built into Linux
and all unix-like systems.  Shell scripts can save a lot of time and
effort, with pipes and redirects playing an integral role.

I'll cite two resources that most on this list will recognize, and I'm sure
everyone has other favorites in this vein.   I encourage you to read
through them, cover to cover, and experiment as you go along.  You will
learn a lot, and become much more confident as a user and system
administrator.   There are even sections on file/user permissions and basic
system security I think you'll find especially interesting.

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

Hope this helps,

Pete