[OT] Re: Fedora vs openSUSE

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Dec 21 20:15:40 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 10:04 AM, g wrote:
> only time it changes is when i do a full system power down, including ups,
> which brings down dsl modem.

I used to do this type of stuff at an ISP.  What you have is a fairly
long lease on an IP.  When that lease expires, your modem has to renew
it.  There's a good chance that you'll get another lease on the same IP,
but not always.  If the modem goes down briefly, or there's a short loss
of signal, you'll still have the same IP.  If you want to be (almost)
sure your IP changes, leave it off for at least fifteen minutes.  Why I
qualified that last statement is left as an exercise for the reader.