getting the nologin users out of the login dialog

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 01:24:24 UTC 2011

Okay, one question at a time, even though I'm pretty sure it's just
two faces of the same problem.

In fedora14 users whose login shell (in /etc/passwd) is specified as
/sbin/nologin do not show up in the login dialog. In Fedora15, they
do.

Does any one know of a setting to fix this?

I read in the man pages for xdm about /etc/shell, but /sbin/nologin,
for all that it seems to me it should not be in there, has been in
there since before fedora13. I tried taking it out anyway, but that
didn't fix anything. Not seeing anything else in the configuration
options that addresses this.

Joel Rees