After a while, dolphin, konqueror (and other KDE apps) won't start...

Steven P. Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:06:16 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,
I am running KDE 4.7.3 on a fully updated fresh install (not an upgrade)
of Fedora 16.  If it is relevant, I am running an NVidia based video
card with the default open source Nouveau driver.  Also, the problem I
am about to describe occurs when I am running a full KDE session, not
when I am attempting to run KDE applications from GNOME or some other DE...

My problem is pretty simple: after being logged into a KDE session for a
while, for reasons that I have not yet narrowed down, I am no longer
able to start at least the following applications:
Dolphin
Konqueror
Kwrite
Kate
Ksysguard
(There may be others...)

Let's say I login to a fresh KDE session.  All of the above listed
applications start and function perfectly.  Then, let's say I have
closed all instances of the "offending" KDE applications.  If I attempt
to start one of them from KRunner, it just does not start.  No error
message, nothing to indicate WHY it did not start.  If I try running one
of the above listed applciations from a terminal to see any error
messages that will be displayed, absolutely NOTHING is displayed on the
terminal.  For example, if Dolphin won't start, and I attempt to start
it from a terminal, it will look exactly like this:
steve at localhost ~$ dolphin

No output whatsoever...

I think that I can start Konsole just fine when those other apps won't
start.  Next time this problem starts up, I will make sure.  But I do
|remember trying to start Dolphin from Konsole last night, with results
like those shown above.  So I'm pretty sure that Konsole is not affected
by this.

Also, I THINK that this might be related: when I try to log out of KDE
when this problem is occurring, it just silently fails.  Translation, I
attempt to log out (using "Kickoff Application Launcher | Leave | Log
out" and nothing happens.  So, I do "Ctrl | Alt | Backspace" (which does
take me out of the KDE session and to the login screen) and attempt to
log back in.  The KDE splash screen comes up, but it seems to hang on
the first icon (the one that looks like a harddrive/disc drive of some
sort.)  If I reboot, I can log into KDE perfectly.

So any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Steven P. Ulrick