Clean Installs are Remarkable

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:31:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 07:06 PM, Fedora User wrote:
>>
>> It has been awhile and I was unaware of the many advances that
>> developers have made in installation. It has never been this easy,
>> intuitive and fast.
>

> That's good to know.  Even if I manage to get this desktop cleaned up and
> working, I'm considering saving up enough money to upgrade to a new mobo.
>  (This one's been working for about eight years, now, and is showing its
> limitations.)  When I do, there's no reason not to get one with enough RAM
> to need a 64 bit system, meaning, of course, a clean install.  Hearing how
> easy it is is very good news.

I agree whole-heartedly - I have been doing almost exclusively clean
installs for many years - with suitable forward planning it is
possible to do an install, configure the new system and bring users
back from backup files within about two and a half to three hours -
possibly a little longer for systems with a number of server
functions.

However my experience has been that clean installs done with
intelligent planning and using backup files for configs and user files
saves a considerable amount of time overall, and gives the new system
a better likelihood for running well without the almost inevitable
problems that have come from the upgrade of an older system.

--
mike c