After a while, dolphin, konqueror (and other KDE apps) won't start...

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Dec 22 13:20:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 07:13 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>

> > Let's say I login to a fresh KDE session.  All of the above listed
> > applications start and function perfectly.  Then, let's say I have
> > closed all instances of the "offending" KDE applications.  If I attempt
> > to start one of them from KRunner, it just does not start.
>
> One guess is that your dbus session has stopped responding for some reason.
>
> Does running:  qdbus
> return and show anything?
>
> Otherwise,
> I'd look in ~/.xsession-errors for anything suspicious
> try running apps under strace, may give a clue where things are getting
> wedged.
----
just an fyi... I too have a clean install of F16 and noted it taking
forever to launch dolphin and noticed that my many days running
evolution and firefox were dragging the performance way down and quit
them. This seemed to restore expected behavior. I'm keeping an eye on
evolution. Firefox w/ Flash is a known pig.

Craig

believed to be clean.