Openfoam is available!!!

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 15:12:15 UTC 2011

On Thursday 22 December 2011 10:09:16 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 09:27 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> > Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
> >
> > On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
> > think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
> > module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.
>
> I must say I get a bit fed up with announcements of this sort, which
> can't even be bothered including a line of description about what the
> thing is. Why should I be forced to open a Web page to find if I have
> any interest in this?

A while ago there was a thread about whether openfoam can or cannot be
included in Fedora, so I guess they are just continuing that discussion.

That said, even if you *do* open the web page, you would have to spend some
time to figure out what it is all about. :-) So I'll give you a shortcut clue:
it is a (very advanced) software development suite for CFD (that is, ehm,
computational fluid dynamics). It is used by scientists and engineers for some
hard-core number crunching you probably don't want to know about... ;-)

But the relevant thing for this list is that it is FOSS but still not included
in Fedora, due to some very obscure compilation methods, so it is a nontrivial
thing to package and be compliant with Fedora packaging guidelines. The
threads and announcements about it on this list have the purpose to find out if
there is enough user interest to actually do that nontrivial packaging work,
or not.

So if you don't already know what openfoam is, you definitely don't need it,
and you are safe to just ignore the threads about it. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko