/var/log/messages

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Dec 22 21:04:45 UTC 2011

On 22.12.2011 21:57, Joe Zeff wrote:

>> the assumtion seems to be right in your case
>>
>> sorry, but if you make a dist-upgrade and need from Dec 6 until Dec 21
>> that the syslogd is not running (why does not matter in this context)
>> your smallest problem is any change / bug
>
> Actually, I'd not noticed it sooner because I hadn't any reason to check until yesterday.  For most of that time I
> had far bigger things to worry about, such as why I couldn't get into X, why my sound still doesn't work, why I can
> only mount USB drives or CDs as root (and I still can't get USB drives world writable.) and trying to clean up all
> of the duplicate packages left by a hung install.  Yesterday, while looking into the USB/CD issue I happened to
> stumble on the rsyslog issue.  Tell me, Tim, how often do you need to examine /var/log/messages?

EVERY DAY multiple times i check "dmesg" and "/var/log/messages"
on 20 production and around 10 test setups

why? because i am responsible for perfect running systems
no matter if they are test-machines, my workstations or high
important production servers

however, do not check this after dist-upgrades is a epic-fail

how do you debig all the other problems you wrote about if least
your syslog does not work?