Listings Question About Ping

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 23 01:08:27 UTC 2011

On 2011/12/22 14:52, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 02:08 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> Look up the manual "man dircolors". It's documented.
>
> Yes, but only if you happen to understand the numeric codes and how they
> interact. For somebody like me, who has no need to know that type of thing, it's
> simply gibberish. That's why my .bashrc contains this line:
>
> alias ls=ls
>
> That gets rid of the colors that somebody "helpfully" decided that everybody wants.

alias lss=/bin/ls
alias ll=/bin/ls -l
alias lla=/bin/ls -lA

And so forth. Why stop before you're done. Every time I find I am using a
particular ls incantation fairly frequently I make a new alias.

(For Windows types "alias dir=/bin/ls -ld". Which is a restatement of the old
saw, "A good programmer can write FORTRAN in any language.")

{^_-}