/var/log/messages

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Dec 23 01:16:08 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 04:29 PM, jdow wrote:

> (Joe MIGHT have been wise to move to 15 from 14 then move to 16 from 15 as
> the upgrade path would have smaller changes. 14 to 15 might have properly
> caught his syslogd problem. I'm not looking forward to the day the RHEL
> path
> adopts systemd. It sounds like more problem than solution.)

I'd skipped F10 earlier, because it seemed to have lots of problems, and
found the upgrade from 9 to 11 painless.  I was hoping to have the same
luck this time, but no.  Neither my desktop nor my laptop has sound any
more, nor can either one recognize a blank CD and write to it.  Not only
that, I can only mount flash drives on my desktop as root, and it
insists that only root can write to them, no matter what I do to change
the permissions.  And, the only kernel that boots correctly on my laptop
is the F14 kernel, which might have something to do with it.  I'm
seriously considering uninstalling all 3.X kernels, rebooting and
updating the kernel to see if that helps.  And, I'd still like to know
how having /var/log/messages active would have been much of a help
because AFAICT, most of the info I need doesn't get put there anyway.