Listings Question About Ping

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 23 01:22:36 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 5:15 PM, jdow wrote:

>> My F14 Linux box is getting repaired so I can't test ... what is this
>> alias
>> changing about 'ls'? I don't remember seeing any factory-setting
>> .bashrc that
>> has ls aliased to ls with some options?
>

> It's been standard since RedHat 5.something, at least.
>
> It is in your .bashrc if you make a stock install and don't copy in a
> fixed
> .bashrc.
>
> {^_^}

jdow:

So factory setting .bashrc does have it aliased to something? What is it?

I remember seeing certain files or directories colorized to some color
over black which, in my opinion, is visually difficult to read and I've
been following the thread with the hopes of seeign a solution. I don't
mind, and actually like, colored text on a white background for dirs,
links, excutables, whatever. Its just that one bad combination that I
want to get rid of.

And I can't tell how it becomes that color except I am thinking it might
relate to directories created under cygwin?

Wish I had my machine to test with rather than asking questions based on
memory (and running the risk of having a senior moment in my memory)

Thanks,
Paul