Listings Question About Ping

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Dec 23 01:26:34 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 05:04 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> My F14 Linux box is getting repaired so I can't test ... what is this
> alias changing about 'ls'? I don't remember seeing any factory-setting
> .bashrc that has ls aliased to ls with some options?
>
> Paul

Part of the standard .bashrc includes /etc/bashrc and its standard
definitions.  One of them sets ls to be the color version, and I used to
chase it down and remove it, only to have the next update of the file
return it.  I finally realized that putting this alias near the bottom
of the file overrides anything done elsewhere, getting rid of it once
and for all.