Listings Question About Ping

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 23 01:31:45 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 5:26 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

> Part of the standard .bashrc includes /etc/bashrc and its standard
> definitions.  One of them sets ls to be the color version, and I used
> to chase it down and remove it, only to have the next update of the
> file return it.  I finally realized that putting this alias near the
> bottom of the file overrides anything done elsewhere, getting rid of
> it once and for all.

Joe:

Opps ...

My memory didn't include remembering the other includes ... that would
explain it.

I'll wait until I get my machine back and can look at what is in
/etc/.bashrc and some of the suggestions for place to look, docs to
read, etc. regarding this to see if I can get rid of the one offending
situation (I've never bumped into blinking anything ... and if I see it
I am inclined to be of jdow's POV that wrecking unimaginable havoc is in
order)

Thanks,
Paul