Listings Question About Ping

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Dec 23 02:10:13 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 09:50 AM, Craig White wrote:
> can't say for certain (and I'm not going to research) but I've been
> using Linux for many years and never see blinking names from an ls
> command except for broken symbolic links. Blinking/flashing makes sense
> in terms of drawing your attention to things that are broken.

I'm not going to do any research either....  But, I did want to point
out one thing.

Sometimes a broken link isn't a "broken link".  If the link points to a
file in a directory to where you don't have access.  An example of this
would be /etc/named.conf in a chroot environment.  As a normal user
you'd go to /etc and see named.conf flashing....but it really isn't broken.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless