Listings Question About Ping

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 23 02:32:38 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 6:24 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> alias ls='ls --color=auto'
>          /bin/ls
> [egreshko at meimei profile.d]$ which ls
> alias ls='ls --color=auto'
>          /bin/ls
> [egreshko at meimei profile.d]$ which ll
> alias ll='ls -l --color=auto'
>          /bin/ls
> [egreshko at meimei profile.d]$ which l.
> alias l.='ls -d .* --color=auto'
>          /bin/ls
>

> FWIW, the default settings are contained in /etc/profile.d/colorls.sh

Ed:

Many thanks. As I wrote to jdow, it is especially appreciated given that
my machine is in repair so all I can do is ask questions without being
able to do any searching for answers (yes, I could probably google
around, but as I wrote Joe I was planning on waiting until I had my
machine back so I could do such while being able to test various
combinations).

Saving the useful content in this thread for that moment.

Paul