Clean Installs are Remarkable

Roelof "Ben" Kusters web at bentrein.com
Fri Dec 23 04:54:55 UTC 2011

> However, on a 1M ADSL connection, downloading the netinstall saves a
> lot of download time. That'll be important for people whose ISPs are
> bandwidth-capped, too.

I don't know where you're at. I'm in Thailand and here 7MBit ADSL is the
cheapest available broadband package. Dialup is available too, still, but
rarely used... I was under the impression that Thailand, not directly on
the fiber network, had relatively slow and expensive Internet. Are there
places where it's worse? -> obviously. :)
Meanwhile, check the Fedora website; there are many places where you can
get a clean install dvd for free, or nearly free. I supply the whole of
Thailand; which isn't that much. :P

I never upgrade. I must be stupid, but I prefer clean installs. Including
the download, I'm usually done in about 6 hours.
2 hours download
30 mins clean install
30 mins update
3 hours tweaking and fiddling till it works; installing other things.

If it's not done by then, I usually go do something else, and install the
remaining stuff when I find out that I need it. :)