Buy an SSD now, or wait?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 08:10:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 01:37, jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Well, he's right. Capitalism sucks. The alternatives suck far far worse.

You´re right, I should have said "capitalism without checks". You
know, the kind that hires underage workers in southeast asia that are
then sold in the US of A at several times its manufacture cost.

I´m not advocating communism. Just pointing the obvious... that
perhaps if those hard drives were made somewhere in the USA (I still
have a Conner made-in-the-usa SCSI1 drive, it still works), or even
western europe (I guess AMD knows better and put its cpu fab in
Dresden not Thailand), then perhaps we wouldn´t be talking about
this..

This is what I´m talking about:

Seagate, Coca-Cola, Intel, Oracle use Cayman Islands tax haven to
avoid paying US taxes
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aWoQkk2WY1oc

-----
May 5 (Bloomberg) -- Seagate Technology, the world’s largest maker of
hard disk drives, is headquartered in Scotts Valley, California. Yet
the documents it files with the Securities and Exchange Commission
list its address on South Church Street in George Town, the capital of
the Cayman Islands.

Seagate is just one of the companies that may be affected by President
Barack Obama’s proposal yesterday to raise about $190 billion over the
next decade by outlawing techniques used by U.S. companies in offshore
locations to avoid paying taxes. While the U.S. corporate tax rate is
35 percent, Seagate paid an effective tax rate of 5 percent in the
year ended June 2008, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
-----

But hey, this is offtopic for this list. Apologies.
In fact, we should all praise these firms for screwing Uncle Sam and
the average US taxpayer who cannot move to Cayman. We should also
praise the offshoring of jobs to the place with the lowest wages you
can get,even if it means building factories in places prone to
flooding. Shortsightness, they´ve heard of it. (how much money are
they losing by this flooding?).

*last message by me on this thread*
;)
FC