Buy an SSD now, or wait?

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Dec 23 08:11:00 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 04:45 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

> And, for what it is worth, if you really want to walk into the Japan
> issue, all I can do is ask if you have given any money to help ...
>
> Paul

Since you have to be a spoilsport/clown and ask...

I didn't give money, because that is meaningless here. We've got plenty
of money and gobs of prepared supplies. I went up north to assist my
cousins and in-laws directly because that actually meant something.
Rebuilding the collapsed side of the barn and replacing the house
windows with my cousin, and tending to livestock while half the family
was away made a much larger difference than money could -- because for
all the money in the world you couldn't find people just then to do
those things in that particular spot, and transportation aside from
boats/bike was initially extremely difficuly anyway. I'm sure that my
participation in town cleanup didn't mean as much, though, because there
were plenty of people on hand for that, with most offices closed.

If you're really in a donating mood, I hear Joe is in need of new
hardware and is living on a pension. I'm sure he would actually use it
for hardware instead of simply standing up a self-beureaucratic
organization he can be in charge of and grant himself a job of arbitrary
tax-free salary through by telling people on the internet that his aim
is to "help people" by donating money to a country already experiencing
overwhelming deflationary pressures...