Buy an SSD now, or wait?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 23 09:03:17 UTC 2011

On 2011/12/23 00:11, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> On 12/23/2011 04:45 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
>> And, for what it is worth, if you really want to walk into the Japan
>> issue, all I can do is ask if you have given any money to help ...
>>
>> Paul
>
> Since you have to be a spoilsport/clown and ask...
>
> I didn't give money, because that is meaningless here. We've got plenty of money
> and gobs of prepared supplies. I went up north to assist my cousins and in-laws
> directly because that actually meant something. Rebuilding the collapsed side of
> the barn and replacing the house windows with my cousin, and tending to
> livestock while half the family was away made a much larger difference than
> money could -- because for all the money in the world you couldn't find people
> just then to do those things in that particular spot, and transportation aside
> from boats/bike was initially extremely difficuly anyway. I'm sure that my
> participation in town cleanup didn't mean as much, though, because there were
> plenty of people on hand for that, with most offices closed.
>
> If you're really in a donating mood, I hear Joe is in need of new hardware and
> is living on a pension. I'm sure he would actually use it for hardware instead
> of simply standing up a self-beureaucratic organization he can be in charge of
> and grant himself a job of arbitrary tax-free salary through by telling people
> on the internet that his aim is to "help people" by donating money to a country
> already experiencing overwhelming deflationary pressures...

Hear hear. I've known Joe for a couple decades now. He's a very nice
excruciatingly honest, very helpful, and remarkably humorous fellow. (I
almost said young fellow. He is, after all, a couple years younger.) Did
I mention he was a seeing eye people for one of JPL's resident orbital
mechanics geniuses blinded by diabetes? Oh, I just did. If anyone can give
him a break it'd be a really good thing. The karmic increase you receive
would be quite welcome. If you're in the Southern California area don't
junk that old dual core pentium 2 GHz computer. Give it to a loving home
as an upgrade for Joe. (My spares are all older than his. <sigh>)

{^_^}