Buy an SSD now, or wait?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Fri Dec 23 10:36:34 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 09:35 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 22.12.2011, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
>> All you need is enough room to run your root partition on so the
>> 60 to 80 gig models are plenty. A HDD is
>> obviously still more cost-effective to store videos, music, etc., and you
>> can still use a HDD as your home directory.
>
> Then, could you please tell me how I get installed to harddisks into my
> laptop?  :-)

It depends on the laptop, but it is often possible to remove the DVD
and replace it with an additional HD bay.
Internal SSD + big HDD in the bay is a configuration I've seen a lot
of persons to be happy with.

Be honest, the CD/DVD is almost useless nowadays with 8GB pendrives costing
about $0. In the rare case you need a DVD (e.g. OS installation) you can
use an external USB one (which you can share for all your laptops/desktops).
DVDs are just becoming floppies.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it