Clean Installs are Remarkable

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Dec 23 11:29:09 UTC 2011

On 23.12.2011 02:28, Joel Rees wrote:
>> what the hell takes 44 hours?
>
> about 12 hours download

boah that is creeping

> about 2 hours in busy-cursor preparing this and preparing that

no ida waht this is and why it takes so long on your machine

> about 4 hours in checking dependencies

your machine is bad

> about 12 hours for the install
> about 12 hours for the cleanup

you machine is worst
even in 2006 on my old notebook a dist-upgrade wa doe in a few hours completly

> Probably would be somewhat faster if I had more than 768M RAM.

no this does not matter

02-12-2011 22:48:09  started master
02-12-2011 22:54:56  master finished

this was a virtial machone with 600 MB RAM

> LVM fragmentation may be slowing things down.

yes, surely your disks are greeping

> Speaking of LVM fragmentation, there's another
> reason it may be reasonable to just do a fresh install.

hm - my first notebook went from FC5 to F13 every dist-upgrade
until the machine decided to die

> Sempron 2600 (1.7GHz, single processor) since you ask.

should not be the problem

most of my virtual machines are limitet to something like that

>> on mobile-internet maybe
> 1M ADSL. Can't afford to go optical.

mobile internet would be faster :-)

here in vienna i had 16M cable-internet years ago
1M is really a bad joke these days

>>> But I'm sure you didn't have 3,450 packages in you virtual machines.
>>
>> no 1,7134 - do not forget the devel-stuff
> 17,134 packages? And I thought I had too much in this machine.

uuhm something got wrong here
1,734 packages

on the workstations the same, they do not have
devel-packages but desktop-stuff

however, 8 GB is the maximum used space for / an oll machines
my co-developer has 3,000 packages on his notebook (x86_64 and
way too much i686 crap) and a dist-upgrades takes only few
hours