Buy an SSD now, or wait?

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Dec 23 11:44:24 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 08:25 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 12/23/2011 11:16 AM, Michael Leung wrote:
>
>> But now SSD is a kind of luxury for myself. I think when SSD drops to
>> the level you don't think that is a luxury goods, then that is a time
>> to buy.
>
> Well, this certainly applies if consider SSDs as replacements for big,
> 100s of GB-sized, HDDs".
>
> It you treat them as "system disks" (hosting the OS) in addition to
> ("big") "data disks" (hosting mostly static data), things look
> different. A 64GB or a 128GB SSD usually is way more than sufficent this
> purpose.
>
> I would assume these to be affordable to most people around here.

This has been a very effective approach for us lately. We've built
client systems with relatively small SSDs with centralized storage (this
usually just means mounting /home over NFS4 or AFS) and its worked very
well. In a single system this could work just as well by pushing things
like /home (and /var depending on what you're up to) to the huge
spinning disks and installing everything else to a tiny SSD.