getting the nologin users out of the login dialog

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 14:55:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> But I don't get a user list. Just the user name and password fields,
> which is not bad, and my family can probably get used to it, but it
> doesn't really tell me what's happening.
>
> Nosing around the web, I found the kdm docs,
>
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-workspace/kdm/kdm-files.html
>
> and there's a UserList option in there. So I go edit
> /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc , change UserList to true and it ignores me. Must
> be some file that overrides that in Fedora.

The Fedora custom theme doesn't have support for user lists, so that
option has no effect.  Pick a theme that does (the "Oxygen" theme
installed by default does, for instance) and it should work.  You
could also use the old-school greeter dialog instead, which also
supports user lists.

<snip>

> The previous chapter describes KDE's GUI configuration tool, which I
> have not got, I suppose I should load that and see if I can get it to
> change something for me.

Looks like kdm includes its own system settings module, but may not
have a dependency on the KDE system settings application.  Make sure
"kdebase-runtime" is installed and then just run "kcmshell4 kdm".

-T.C.