OT: How much RAM should I get in a new laptop ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 15:15:13 UTC 2011

Thanks for the replies.

I was more wondering if its worth about $150 to get 4 DIMM slots
instead of just 2 DIMM slots.

I was thinking I could get away with 2 x 4 GB for a total of 8 GB.
But given its an i7 and all, I'll probably keep it for a while and
should probably plan that someday I'll want 16 GB (!) and should thus
pay about $150 extra for the 3D screen (which is brighter and has a
faster refresh rate) and then one gets 4 DIMM slots as well.

To get to 16GB with 2 DIMM slots would require 2 x 8 GB modules, which
would probably make up for most of the $150 over 4 x 4 GB modules.