BIOS doesn't see hard drive with Fedora 16, may it be an install issue?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Fri Dec 23 17:04:50 UTC 2011

Greetings,

we just installed Fedora 16 x86_64 KDE spin on an Intel DH61CR board,
from the live CD. New computer, no other OS is installed.

The live CD worked fine, no problem with the installation. However,
now

1) if booting from the network is enabled, the motherboard ONLY tries to
  boot from the network, forever

2) if booting from network is disabled, I just get this error message:

  "a bootable device has not been detected"

3) if I press F10 at boot I get a PARTIAL BIOS menu. By partial I mean
  that I ONLY see a screen that asks me to change boot priority among:

  detected hard drive (the one on which we had just installed F16)
  detected dvd/cd drive
  network

  if I select the hard drive the system boots into Fedora 16 WITHOUT
  ANY TROUBLE AT ALL. But since in that menu there is NO entry as
  usual saying "press F9 or F10 to save settings" or similar (that's
  why I said "partial bios menu") that choice is not saved

4) if I press F2 at boot I do get the complete boot menu, but no
  matter what I select as priority order, or what I disable, in the
  BOOT screen, I am back at point 1 or 2 above

I am already investigating on the BIOS side, ie checking the docs and
so on. My question here is only if there may be anything in how F16
was installed (using or not the MBR for grub, choices of partitions
etc) that may cause a problem like this, and if yes how to fix it.

of course, any comment and help is appreciated, even if not specific
to Fedora.

TIA,
	Marco