Clean Installs are Remarkable

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 23 20:28:28 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 10:06 PM, Fedora User wrote:
> I cannot believe that we are at F16. I clearly recall RH9 to FC-1. But I
> digress. I know that others have said this in the past. I just thought
> that I would reinforce the notion that clean installs remove a large
> number of annoying problems that persist through upgrades. Moreover, it
> is refreshing to start with a clean desktop; something that has become
> a palette for the way we think and do things.
>
> It has been awhile and I was unaware of the many advances that
> developers have made in installation. It has never been this easy,
> intuitive and fast.
>
> I was in a Walgreens the other day and picked up a bunch of Sony DVD's
> for 40 cents each. There was a time when burning a DVD through Linux
> was a considerable challenge. Now it is routine --- and cheap. The
> perfect excuse for backing up the accumulated bytes; It makes you think
> what you really want to retain. Then wiping the HD clean.

I have a 2Tb dirve on a backup server that I 'regularly' rsync my ~/data
stuff to.  Considering that I have 20Gb to move, that would be a lot of
DVD swapping.

But to each their own.  Just remember to backup.  I lost my daily backup
drive a couple weeks ago, but had my weekly drive (that is kept in a
firebox and taken out and mounted for the backup 'each' sunday) so
layers upon layers does it.