Clean Installs are Remarkable

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 23 20:33:31 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 10:28 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 07:06 PM, Fedora User wrote:
>> It has been awhile and I was unaware of the many advances that
>> developers have made in installation. It has never been this easy,
>> intuitive and fast.
>
> That's good to know.  Even if I manage to get this desktop cleaned up
> and working, I'm considering saving up enough money to upgrade to a
> new mobo.  (This one's been working for about eight years, now, and is
> showing its limitations.)  When I do, there's no reason not to get one
> with enough RAM to need a 64 bit system, meaning, of course, a clean
> install.  Hearing how easy it is is very good news.

I just went from a 6 year old HP nc2400 duo core to a new Lenovo x120e
single core.  2Gb mem - 4Gb and 60Gb disk to 320Gb.  I would recommend a
duo core.  I THINK I can notice the difference even though supposedly
the Lenovo single == the HP duo in bogomips.

I ALWAYS did a clean install between versions.  rsync ~/. to a backup
drive install, the move things back (like ~/.ssh !).

And each time customizations I did in /etc were different so why bother
to try and keep them around.  Just make sure to maintain a list of
everything you installed so you do not forget anything!  A common
problem with me.