Listings Question About Ping

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 24 09:49:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 19:55 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 09:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > dark terminal backgrounds are good for novelty but not good for
> > actually using on a semi-continual basis.
>
> Can't say that I agree with that, because I believe the opposite.  On
> CRT and LCDs, I find brightish text on black backgrounds easier to read
> than the opposite.  Trying to view coloured text against white even
> worse.  It's really only dark blue text on black that I find hard to
> read, but then that's the colour most people's eyesight is worst at.
----
considering that blue is the default colorization for directories in ls,
then using a black background for your terminal means that you are going
to either have difficulty (and do your best to defeat colorization) or
customize it.

I don't generally use white backgrounds but tend to use the pastels
offered by Konsole and I find the colorization from ls not a problem at
all (and sometimes useful). Maybe the Gnome terminal handles things
differently.

Craig

believed to be clean.