SOLVED : BIOS doesn't see hard drive with Fedora 16, may it be an install issue?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Dec 24 12:20:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 18:04:50 PM +0100, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> we just installed Fedora 16 x86_64 KDE spin on an Intel DH61CR board,
> from the live CD. New computer, no other OS is installed.
> The live CD worked fine, no problem with the installation. However,
> if I press F2 at boot I do get the complete boot menu, but no matter
> what I select as priority order, or what I disable, in the BOOT
> screen, I am back at point 1 or 2 above

I finally finished work for the week and was able to get back
seriously to this.

just for the report, I realized only this morning that the only hard
drive present, the one on which we installed Fedora, had been
connected to SATA connector 1, not 0. I moved it to connector 0,
nothing changed.

Then I started toggling all the options I could find in the BIOS. I
noticed that the BIOS _would_ remember the settings from one boot to
the next, but no matter which combination of other devices (network,
optical drives) I used, it didn't matter. It would always say "no
bootable device found", or whatever it was.

Then I enabled UEFI, which I realized was disabled by default, and
everything works now...

Thanks a lot to everybody who answered, it helped me to not waste time
on looking elsewhere.

Happy but puzzled,
      Marco