Why updatedb doesn't traverse my external HD?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Dec 24 19:07:20 UTC 2011

Am 24.12.2011 19:58, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
> (1) What is the proper place to customize this configuration? I want /media to
> be ext4, so that it doesn't get excluded by updatedb. I know I could
> reconfigure the /lib/systemd/system/media.mount, but that would probably be
> overwritten on update or something. How are these things meant to be
> customized?

/media is for temporary mounts and this design is OK
mount your drive somewhere else

> (2) Why is /media being mounted like this? If I reconfigure it back to ext4, is
> anything else going to break?

because it makes no sense to "updatedb" temporary mounts like
usb-disks, network-mounts and such things since locate-hits
are normally useless for them and "updatedb" runs forever
on slow temporary mounts with a hughe amount of files