Quick dracut/grub2 question

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Dec 24 21:58:42 UTC 2011

Recently, I learned that you can now boot Fedora through grub2 without
an inetrd line.  In fact, it will boot quicker.  If you do, however,
grub2-probe, called from grub2-mkconfig will fail with the message
"cannot stat /dev/root" and any new kernel you've installed won't get
added to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.  As it happens, the kernel I'm using
right now has no such line and no initramfs in /boot, although two more
recent kernels did get an initramfs built.

I know that all I need to do is use dracut to create the proper
initramfs, then edit grub.cfg, adding the initrd line to the appropriate
place, but I'm having a bit of trouble locating the proper command line
for dracut.  I find this frustrating, because I've seen it before, and
now that I need it, I can't locate it.  I'd appreciate if it somebody
who knows would post the command line, so that I can correct this for
the kernel I'm using, reboot and then update grub.cfg properly.