Why updatedb doesn't traverse my external HD?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Dec 24 23:46:33 UTC 2011

Am 25.12.2011 00:40, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
>> /media is for temporary mounts and this design is OK
>> mount your drive somewhere else
>
> Why? This drive *is* a temporary mount, and the system is properly mounting it
> under /media. I see no reason to mount it anywhere else --- /media is
> precisely the place where this drive should be mounted.

and that is why it is not traversed by updatedb

>> because it makes no sense to "updatedb" temporary mounts like
>> usb-disks, network-mounts and such things since locate-hits
>> are normally useless for them and "updatedb" runs forever
>> on slow temporary mounts with a hughe amount of files
>
> Maybe it doesn't make sense for you, but there are other people out there with
> other usecases, and running updatedb through /media might make sense for them.

well so they have the SIMPLE option mount it elsewhere

> When I ask how to do something, the only thing I don't want to hear is an
> answer on the lines of "only a jackass would want to do that". You should get
> out of your own little world and have a more open mind about how other people
> use computers, which might be quite different from your own habits.

the answer was MOUNT IT ELSEWHERE and your problem is solved
what is so difficult there?

MY USECASE does not matter here
the usecase of thousands is plugin any usb-drive temporary without knowing
mlocate at all and this is the big userbase for which traversing these
mounts is useless overhead because it is slow, eating CPU and does
not get used