Set up serial console for fedora 16

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 01:27:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Derek Tattersall <tatters at newsguy.com> wrote:
> I am in the process of setting up a router/file server using F16. I would
> like have the boot messages go to the serial console.
>
> How do you do that in F16?
>
> It seems to use a different version of grub than other versions, and what
> worked in F14 won't work in F16. I think. Or will it?

The format of the GRUB configuration file is slightly different, but
you still use the same kernel argument (console=ttyS<N>,<options>).

No matter what version of GRUB you're using, you can add kernel
arguments easily with grubby.  For example:
# grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args='console=ttyS1,9600'

-T.C.