default browser settings in Thunderbird changed by updates overnight

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Dec 25 15:18:27 UTC 2011

On 12/26/2011 12:01 AM, Claude Jones wrote:
> Clicking an html link from within a Thunderbird message now opens
> Chrome. It has been set to Firefox for a long time. This appears to have
> changed since yesterday, and last night I did run a huge number of new
> updates.
>
> Funny thing is, the settings in about:config in Thunderbird still
> dictate firefox as the preferred browser:
>
> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp;/usr/bin/firefox
> network.protocol-handler.app.http;/usr/bin/firefox
> network.protocol-handler.app.https;/usr/bin/firefox
>
> Checking "System settings\Default Applications\web Browser" (in KDE)
> also shows Firefox configured as default browser
>
> Where else can this behavior be controlled. I would like to know which
> package update caused this behavior to change so I can file a bug
> report, but I'm not sure. Looking at the long list of updates last
> night, there were updates for both Firefox and Thunderbird, but not for
> Chrome. I can't imagine Thunderbird changing the defaut browser to open
> from links, and the settings still seem correct.
>
> Ideas?

One of the hacked-to-pieces bundled libraries that Chrome requires being
called by Thunderbird or the desktop manager by mistake?

As in, path precedence, or something...?

You asked for ideas. No clue how far off this one is, as I can't stand
Chrome (or the new Firefox release concept, for that matter).