How To Install Miro & Arista In Fedora 16

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Dec 27 00:03:32 UTC 2011

On Dec 26, 2011 9:02 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya" <swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't find Miro and Arista in Fedora repos (have also installed Live
and RPM Fusion). I need these two apps to convert movies for my Samsung
Galaxy 10.1 tab (and also writing a review). Is there any easy way to
install such apps on Fedora?

> Best
> Swapnil
> --

Hey Swampnil,

Sorry for the sweeping generalizations, but:

Your last couple posts ar saying, in effect, "in Ubuntu, I used $METHOD to
accomplish $USER_TASK.  How can Fedora replicate the $METHOD I used in
Ubuntu? "

You might run into some trouble, because the two distributions have
different $METHODS.  There is an important distinction to be made between
the end goal (putting videos on a tablet) and the method used to do it
(installing Miro, for example.)  I'm concerned that instead of reviewing
Fedora, you will end up reviewing your ability to turn Fedora into
Ubuntu.   Your struggle with the apparently unneeded fedora-utils and
proprietary nvidia drivers are evidence of the kind of bias I hope your
writing doesn't include.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but :

Instead of saying "installing nvidia drivers was very difficult, and broke
my installation so badly I had to reinstall" one could say "fedora doesn't
package drivers, such as the proprietary Nvidia binaries, that it does not
have the rights to redistribute, but the default open source driver worked
well for me."
Instead if saying "I had to use a 3rd party utility to install flash" you
could say "Fedora doesn't include flash,  but after a week I found I was
glad to be rid of it."
See the difference?

I'm going to assume that your impression of Fedora has been impacted by
this list as well.  I hope the list members are aware they are representing
our community here, and I hope that you, Swampil, realize that you have not
been providing enough information in your postings to receive the full
benefit of support the knowledgeable list members here have to offer.

Pete