How To Install Miro & Arista In Fedora 16

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 27 04:59:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 01:17 +0100, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> > Sorry for the sweeping generalizations, but:
> >
> > Your last couple posts ar saying, in effect, "in Ubuntu, I used $METHOD
> > to accomplish $USER_TASK.  How can Fedora replicate the $METHOD I used
> > in Ubuntu? "
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> > You might run into some trouble, because the two distributions have
> > different $METHODS.  There is an important distinction to be made
> > between the end goal (putting videos on a tablet) and the method used to
> > do it (installing Miro, for example.)  I'm concerned that instead of
> > reviewing Fedora, you will end up reviewing your ability to turn Fedora
> > into Ubuntu.   Your struggle with the apparently unneeded fedora-utils
> > and proprietary nvidia drivers are evidence of the kind of bias I hope
> > your writing doesn't include.
>
> I totally understand and admit that coming for Ubuntu I have migrated
> quite a lot of users from Windows to GNU/Linux. These are average users
> who don't know much about computers and don't need to. So, I am looking
> for ways how to help them and help me in using Fedora. I am trying to
> avoid every possible scope for any flameware here as that's not the
> goal. I am new to fedora and of course I will look at it from the point
> I am familiar with.
>
> I am learning every day. For example now I managed to make my dual
> monitor work without installing Nvidia drivers.
>
> I also understand that Fedora's audience may be different than the
> Ubuntu's audience. This is an area where I am confused. I think Fedora
> is targeted at more advanced users, so I will refrain from recommending
> it to average users. I was under impression that may be due to recent
> marketing on fedora home page the target audience changed. I have not
> spoken with any Fedora guy for ages ever since I stopped working for the
> LFY magazine.
----
Fedora is committed to using free software that isn't encumbered by
various copyrights/licenses.

This page may be useful in terms of understanding Fedora philosphy
regarding many of the things you are interested in.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items

Some of them are indeed handled by third party repositories such as
rpmfusion, atrpms and others.

Craig

believed to be clean.