How To Install Miro & Arista In Fedora 16

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 09:19:25 UTC 2011

On 12/27/2011 05:59 AM, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 01:17 +0100, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
>>> Sorry for the sweeping generalizations, but:
>>>
>>> Your last couple posts ar saying, in effect, "in Ubuntu, I used $METHOD
>>> to accomplish $USER_TASK.  How can Fedora replicate the $METHOD I used
>>> in Ubuntu? "
>>
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>>> You might run into some trouble, because the two distributions have
>>> different $METHODS.  There is an important distinction to be made
>>> between the end goal (putting videos on a tablet) and the method used to
>>> do it (installing Miro, for example.)  I'm concerned that instead of
>>> reviewing Fedora, you will end up reviewing your ability to turn Fedora
>>> into Ubuntu.   Your struggle with the apparently unneeded fedora-utils
>>> and proprietary nvidia drivers are evidence of the kind of bias I hope
>>> your writing doesn't include.
>>
>> I totally understand and admit that coming for Ubuntu I have migrated
>> quite a lot of users from Windows to GNU/Linux. These are average users
>> who don't know much about computers and don't need to. So, I am looking
>> for ways how to help them and help me in using Fedora. I am trying to
>> avoid every possible scope for any flameware here as that's not the
>> goal. I am new to fedora and of course I will look at it from the point
>> I am familiar with.
>>
>> I am learning every day. For example now I managed to make my dual
>> monitor work without installing Nvidia drivers.
>>
>> I also understand that Fedora's audience may be different than the
>> Ubuntu's audience. This is an area where I am confused. I think Fedora
>> is targeted at more advanced users, so I will refrain from recommending
>> it to average users. I was under impression that may be due to recent
>> marketing on fedora home page the target audience changed. I have not
>> spoken with any Fedora guy for ages ever since I stopped working for the
>> LFY magazine.
> ----
> Fedora is committed to using free software that isn't encumbered by
> various copyrights/licenses.
>
> This page may be useful in terms of understanding Fedora philosphy
> regarding many of the things you are interested in.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items
>
> Some of them are indeed handled by third party repositories such as
> rpmfusion, atrpms and others.

I concur. Still Fedora 16 is too addictive to be not used. Especially
when readers want to try it and want to read more about it. My only
choice is to use it and find easy ways to do things on it. I never tried
'atrpms' will certainly try. Can you please point some more repos which
can be trusted. I am already using RPM fusion and Livna.

Best
Swapnil