more than one bridge

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Dec 27 13:13:03 UTC 2011

Hiisi writes:

> On 27 December 2011 15:49, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> > Hiisi writes:
> >
> >> Hi, list!
> >> Is there a way to set up more than one bridged interface having one
> >> physical device? I'm setting up virtual machines and want them to
> >> share the same network with host computer. For one guest machine I
> >> simply created a bridged interface adding line 'BRIDGE=br0' to
> >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p21p1 (host computer network
> >> interface), then created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 with
> >> nececarry configuration. How to create second interface for second
> >> guest machine and so on?
> >

> > Add the second machine to the same bridge.
> >

> Hi, Sam!
> Thanks, I've already did it. But theoretically, is it possible to
> create more than one bridge on one interface?

No, because that would make no sense whatsoever. Having a bridge means that
any network traffic received by any bridged interface is also received by
every other one. With the same interface on multiple bridges, because it
receives all network traffic on one bridge, and because it is also on a
second bridge, means that all interface on the other bridge also receive the
same network traffic.

Which is exactly the same as if there was one bridge in the first place.