How to uninstall nvidia drivers in runlevel3

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Tue Dec 27 16:28:42 UTC 2011

On 12/26/2011 06:22 PM, Lawrence Graves wrote:

> On 12/26/2011 05:07 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
>>

>> On Dec 26, 2011 2:07 PM, "Lawrence Graves" <lgraves95 at gmail.com <mailto:lgraves95 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I would like to do an update on my Dell 9400 Inspiron which is running 275.43 nvidia drivers. Is there a command that will
>> allow me this option if need. Please help.
>> > --
>> > Lawrence Graves All things are workable but don't all things work.
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> You don't need to worry about it unless there is a kernel update, at which point you should reinstall the drivers so they build
>> against the new kernel.  IIRC, that's. '/NVIDIA.RUN --uninstall '
>>
>> Try the kmod again while you have the nvidia ones uninstalled, if you like. I still haven't read where the default drivers were
>> inadequate for you....
>>

> I am going to do this for you Pete, and pray it works. I haven't tried this way before. I have install Fedora 16 on my laptop
> about 30 times trying to get the 290.10 nvidia drivers from rpmfusion to installed but I never tried it this way.
> --
> Lawrence Graves All things are workable but don't all things work.

After installing the nvidia drivers from nvidia.com you will need to recompile them against the kernel if you've updated it.  You
can do this by rerunning the nvidia-installer in runlevel3.  Then you change to runlevel5 and the nvidia driver will load.  We
(Lawrence and I) went around and around with the kmod/akmod stuff with the 290.10 driver and it *just wouldn't work* (he could
*never* get an X screen).  Once there is a kmod/akmod for th 275.43 driver then I would suggest going back to that solution so he
can update his kernel at will.  Until then, if he wants a working X, he's going to have to go about it this way.

Kevin