Recovering a failed (SSD) hard drive. Unknown partition type.

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 03:02:07 UTC 2011

Is there any way to sniff out the old partition table ?    What would
I need other than the partition table sizes ?    I know I had boot,
swap and / partitions...

Is there any way to copy (and possibly recover) the raw data from the
drive ?  Possibly using dd or something ?

I tried using partimage, but as you guys know, if there is no
partition (partition table), it can't copy it.

What are the chances that if I could recover the partition table that
the data would still be there ?

Aside: this caught me TOTALLY off guard.  SMART was enabled for this
drive, the drive was checked periodically, etc.   This laptop hadn't
moved off my desk in months and was basically only rebooted to run
newer kernels.

I did my last backup about a month ago.  I have a backup of all my
emails, so that is good.   All my digital images are stored on a
separate drive, so none of them were lost.   I'm trying to figure out
what content I added in the last month... documents, etc, that got
stored in /home/me.   I shudder at the thought of sorting this all
out.