more than one bridge

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 03:21:39 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 06:59:53 AM Hiisi wrote:
> On 27 December 2011 15:49, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> > Hiisi writes:
> >> Hi, list!
> >> Is there a way to set up more than one bridged interface having one
> >> physical device? I'm setting up virtual machines and want them to
> >> share the same network with host computer. For one guest machine I
> >> simply created a bridged interface adding line 'BRIDGE=br0' to
> >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p21p1 (host computer network
> >> interface), then created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 with
> >> nececarry configuration. How to create second interface for second
> >> guest machine and so on?
> >
> > Add the second machine to the same bridge.
>
> Hi, Sam!
> Thanks, I've already did it. But theoretically, is it possible to
> create more than one bridge on one interface?

Have you looked into using VLANs?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_network, a few paragraphs down,
"VLANs (Virtual LANs) are logical LAN's (Local Area Networks), based on
physical LAN's. A VLAN can be created by partitioning a physical LAN into
multiple logical LAN's (subnets) using a VLAN ID. Alternatively, several
physical LAN's can function as a single logical LAN. The partitioned network
can be on a single router, or multiple VLAN's can be on multiple routers just
as multiple physical LAN's would be. A VLAN can be on a VPN."

Your question sounds similar to "partitioning a physical LAN into multiple
logical LAN's (subnets) using a VLAN ID."

Can someone, who has used VLANs recently,
comment if this approach will do what the OP wants,
and help with the configuration on Linux if the OP wants to try it?

Last time I used VLANs was the late 1990's...on a SOHO (FlowPoint) router.
I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty and would have to test any "help" I might offer.