Silencing Mock

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 03:46:21 UTC 2011

2011/12/27 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp>:
> I've never really payed attention (or cared) until now, but Mock is annoying
> me with copious lines of:

> DEBUG: warning: group iwao does not exist - using root
> DEBUG: warning: user iwao does not exist - using root
>
> during builds. I asked the search gods about this one, and all I find are
> tons of log files scattered around the net with the same messages in them --
> but nobody asking if this is an error or not.

This happens when opening any SRPM that was created with a user
account that doesn't exist on the target machine.  (And will probably
happen every time w/mock because no users exist in the chroot it
makes.)  IIUC, RPM stores the owner and permission of all files
included in an SRPM when building it, and then tries to restore them
when it's installed.  If it doesn't exist, it prints that warning and
falls back on a default value.

It's completely harmless.

> The builds work fine, its just annoying -- but on systems where this error
> pops up the command "mock --scrub=all" can't be run, and I feel the two are
> probably related.

I think that's just a coincidence.  What error do you get when running that?

> Any ideas? I've got to be missing something small here.

-T.C.