Implementing a "sometimes" RAID on a laptop. (eSATA, SSD, RAID 1)

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 05:43:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 05:57, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given the nature of the SSD failure I experienced, from now on I wish
> to have my laptop running a RAID1 setup via the eSATA port when its
> used on my desk.   However, when its not used on my desk, I wish it to
> function normally without the RAID functionality.

I have never heard of any "sometimes" RAID setup. I don't think that
is possible. I would say just do incremental backups every night.
There are many tools, rsync being the most commonly used. If you use
LVM, you could also try taking LVM snapshots.

I personally use rsnapshot, a wrapper around rsync, to back up every
night. So far it has saved me countless times.

GL

--
Suvayu