grub2

Patrick Dupre patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk
Wed Dec 28 22:53:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011, Steve Searle wrote:

> Around 11:32pm on Monday, December 26, 2011 (UK time), Patrick Dupre scrawled:
>
>> I understand that I have to a rebuild a grub.cfg file, but how?
>> grub2-mkconfig can do it, but how do I modify the boot options?
>> For example I which to remove the quiet and rhgb options from the
>> boot command (not at each boot).
>
> From my own Fedora installation instructions:
>
> Edit /etc/default/grub and make the following changes.
>
>    change GRUB_TIMEOUT to 30.
>    delete quiet and rhgb from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line.
>
> Run grub2-mkconfig to regenerate the grub config file. Then set
> the default grub entry to 0.
>
>    # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>    # grub2-set-default 0
>
> I'm not sure why I needed to do the last bit, but found it was necessary
> for the latest kernel to be selected by default.

Thank,
It works fine. However, grub2-mkconfig tries to detect the installations
available on the computer and get some wrong results that I need to
correct by editing grub.cfg. This is bizarre. How can I get a better
control under grub2-mkconfig?
In fact it just finds installations which do not exist, probably traces of
fedora14 which was installed before fedora 16.

--
---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |