nepomukindexer was killed by signal 6 (SIGABRT)

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at
Wed Dec 28 23:43:25 UTC 2011

> I have Fedora 16 for x86_64, from time to time it sends the error
> "nepomukindexer was killed by signal 6 (SIGABRT)" thru the Automatic
> Bug Reporting Tool, but now it keeps sending the error every 20 or 30
> seconds and there are lots of instances of nepomuxindexer running at
> the same time one after another consuming a lot of processor...
> I read on google that it can be safely disabled, but how can I do that
> and what system functionalities would I lose?

I use the "classic" menu style, but the procedure is pretty much the

Go to "Settings", "System Settings", "Workspace Appearance and
Behavior", "Desktop Search" and uncheck "Enable "Nepomuk Semantic Desktop".

For a discussion on what functions you'll lose, check the archives of
the "Fedora kde users" list for a recent discussion on "nepomuk".

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless