grub2

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Thu Dec 29 02:34:59 UTC 2011

On 12/28/2011 05:32 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 22:53 +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>
>> It works fine. However, grub2-mkconfig tries to detect the installations
>> available on the computer and get some wrong results that I need to
>> correct by editing grub.cfg. This is bizarre. How can I get a better
>> control under grub2-mkconfig?
>> In fact it just finds installations which do not exist, probably traces of
>> fedora14 which was installed before fedora 16.
>
> If you edit /etc/grub2.cfg (which is a link to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg) you
> do NOT need to run NOTHING.  Just edit the file and it will work, no
> commands to run at all.  And whatever you change there, esp if involves
> paramaters to the kernel, such as rhgb and quiet, then those will
> translate to each new kernel that it adds to it.
>
> Maybe I am missing something that makes you run it for some odd reason?

grub2-mkconfig will make everything for you (so I'm lazy, so shoot me....  :-)   ) as well as making safe mode entries as well.  I
find it interesting that when I install a new kernel and grubby runs to make the kernel entry for grub.cfg I *don't* get any safe
mode boot up entry for that kernel.  No real big deal but I kind of like having those entries.

Kevin