starting xfce with vncserver

Damian Rodriguez Sanchez damian.sanchez at itautec.com
Thu Dec 29 13:12:49 UTC 2011

> Hello, I'm trying to start an xfce session on a vncserver connection.
>
> A call to startxfce4 on my xstartup file works with other distributions,
> but
> on my fc15 it just gives me a black screen after I connect.
>
> Any ideas?

I found my Xfce all messed up this morning when I turned up my computer.
Windows borders were missing and a few other crazy things were happening.
Logged out and in again, rebooted the computer... nothing. Things went back
to normal after I cleared my session cache. I decided to try and establish
an Xfce session again from another PC through VNC and.... it worked!

Obviously, I thought that might have been the reason why I was having
trouble before with Xfce and VNC, so I decided to recover the contents of my
corrupted session cache directory (which I had backed up), just to check. My
desktop went crazy again, but I could still start Xfce sessions through VNC,
so I’m not really sure what happened.

Then I saw your replies.

Joe: no meaningful information (to me al least) in those files. But then
again, I had already established normal sessions when I viewed their
contents.

Kevin: Yes, Xfce is installed, I use it everyday, just started to use it now
through VNC.

Thank you both.

Damián.

0