DVD ISO copy weirdness

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Dec 29 16:07:50 UTC 2011

I bought a new movie on DVD the other day for my kid (Christmas and
all...). I wanted to back it up because I've noticed a few of my older
DVDs don't play correctly anymore (blocky in spots or don't play period
but are studio cuts that used to work!).

Normally I just put a DVD in the drive, select "Copy disk..." and move
through the dialogue to save it to an .iso. Later I can either have the
computer or the player play it from anywhere in the house.

Simple.

But today this one is acting strangely. It is giving me a css key error,
which is weird, because this is not BlueRay or anything, and it works
just fine in the ancient for-TV DVD player, so its nothing new.

Beyond that, I can open the disk up and see the typical DVD directories:
{VIDEO,AUDIO}_TS

Looking in VIDEO_TS to see what's the matter, everything can be played
just fine. No CSS problems. The DVD works in Media Player, VLC, etc.
just fine. I can run each individual chapter segment as well. But the
total size of VIDEO_TS claims to be 46GB, about 10 times bigger than it
should be... and I'm not going to copy 46GB just to get a movie. It was
a good movie, but not THAT good.

Any ideas?